Main content of the website

Utilities

  • font size :A
  • A
  • A

Water 

The Southwest Regional Water Co-op Public Water System (PWS) provides safe potable drinking water to the residents of Melita, Two Borders, Brenda, Napinka, Medora and Waskada through the distribution systems and to other rural residents by means of the Truck Fill System at the Water Treatment Plant (WTP). Treated water produced from the WTP meets or exceeds all health and aesthetic objectives as stated in the Guidelines for Canadian Drinking Water Quality.

Water Supply, Reservoir and Treatment Facility

The WTP receives groundwater from four wells from the Oak Lake Aquifer. The wells were drilled to a depth of 33 feet. Raw water pumped from the wells into a 200 mm (8 inch) pipeline where it flows directly into the WTP for processing and treatment.

Raw water is pumped to the WTP where approximately 90% of the flow is directed through reverse osmosis membranes. The remaining 10% by-passes through a sand-filter with 3 new UV (ultraviolet) units prior to blending with membrane permeate. Blended flow is chlorinated with sodium hypochlorite and then stored in a 1,000,000-litre concrete reservoir for distribution.

The storage reservoir for the Co-op’s drinking water has a capacity of 1,000,000 litres or 220,000 Imperial Gallons, which gives us an available storage time of 2 days without plant operation. Currently the plant runs daily keeping the reservoir full, the main reason for this is to have enough water on hand for firefighting and domestic use. It also helps to keep the water fresh and well circulated. Since the addition of the second RO and Filter the plant runs one RO and Filter on an alternating basis.

Water Distribution

The Melita distribution system is comprised of 592 service connections, with a population of 1056 (2006 Statistics Canada Census) approximately. The distribution system also services a few rural connections located directly around town in the RM of Two Borders.

For water quality/treatment standards, certificates of analysis or analytical reports, please refer to the 'Public Water System Annual Report for the Southwest Regional Water Treatment Plant & Southwest Regional Water Co-op'

Sewer

Type of treatment – 3-cell lagoon FAC.  Currently only 2 cells are utilized.

Average flow – 66,623 gallons/day approx.

Design flow – 250,000 gallons/day

Two lift stations under grade system

No constraints on future system expansion, as needs may demand.

Here is a list of some things to keep out of our sewers:

  • disposable diapers
  • tampons or tampon applicators
  • sanitary napkins 
  • cotton balls and swabs
  • condoms
  • cleaning wipes of any kind
  • facial tissue
  • bandages and bandage wrappings
  • automotive fluids
  • paint, solvents, sealants, and thinners
  • poisons and hazardous waste
  • pet waste
  • Unused Medications
  • Protect drains from chemical spills — do not use sinks for chemical storage or secondary containment.
  • Fats, Oils, and Grease (FOG)

Reminder: Grease in sewer pipes causes sewer maintenance problems for property owners and the Town. Never pour grease down your sink drain and try to use your garbage disposal less.

What we will permit down the drain:

The only substances allowed down drains are those that meet all of the following criteria:

  • Nonhazardous
  • No radioactive waste
  • No hazardous chemical waste
  • No untreated biohazardous waste
  • Liquid
  • No solids, sludge, or viscous substances
  • Will not interfere with sewage treatment operations
  • No corrosive pH levels
  • No grease or oil
  • No hot (150°F or higher) temperatures in volumes of more than 10 gallons


Electricity and Natural Gas

For all your electricity and natural gas needs, please contact Manitoba Hydro.


Telecommunications & Internet Services

The Town of Melita is serviced by a number of companies and services.  

CELLULARTelus - 4G LTE network with LTE Advanced & LTE
BellMTS - 4G LTE network with LTE Advanced (LTE-A) & LTE
Rogers -  4G LTE network
TELEVISIONWestman Communications Group - Cable television with a variety of channel packages & bundles
Shaw Direct - Cable television with a variety of channel packages & bundles
INTERNET SERVICESWestman Communications Group - Fibre Optic; Download speed ranges from 15 mbps to 300 Mbps!
BellMTS - Cable; Download speeds of up to 50 Mbps
Xplornet Satellite - Download Speeds of up to 50 Mbps
StarLink Satellite - Targeting coverage in Melita & Area in mid to late 2021